St James Place help to make GYC Sports Day a huge success . . .
- Why did you decide to volunteer for GYC? We are fortunate that SJP allows us time to volunteer, and we chose Gloucestershire Young Carers because it is local to us and supports young people in our community. Spending a day volunteering is so much more rewarding than simply making a donation to an organisation (although that is important too) as you feel you are making a positive difference to the lives of people who need it.
- It would be great if you could share how, you felt going along to help at the young carers Sports Day? We were intrigued as we didn’t really know what to expect and excited to meet new people and spend a day doing something non-work related.
- What kind of things did you get involved with? We helped out and joined in activities including rounders, dodgeball, football and archery.
- How did volunteering make you feel? We all enjoyed the day very much and felt a sense of pride that we were able to help the young people take time away from their responsibilities and have fun. It was noticeable how they got more confident and talkative as the day progressed. It was also a great experience to spend time with colleagues who we don’t work closely with and to get to know them better.
- What would you say to anyone else thinking about volunteering with GYC? Do it! GYC does really important work and watching the young carers enjoying themselves gives you a great sense of wellbeing and helps to put other day to day stresses into perspective.
What a team you made; thank so much Ann, Chris, Elaine, Karen, Matt and Matt, Toby for all the help you gave to help make the young carers Sports Day a great success.
Employer supported volunteering at it best.
Dear Corporate, would your team, or a small group of your colleagues, be interested in doing a *CSR day together? To find out more about volunteering opportunities, for which your company can help to give something back to the community, Gloucestershire Young Carers would love to hear from you. Please contact Sue, our Volunteer Coordinator on 01452 733060 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) days help companies to fulfil their responsibilities to make a positive impact on employees and communities through its activities. CSR days also help improve the perception of a company amongst its staff when they become involved through community volunteering.