Who are young adult carers?
Young adult carers are young people between the ages of 16 and 24 who look after someone, usually a family member, who might have:
- Physical disability
- Issues with drugs or alcohol
- Mental health problem
- Learning disability
- Long-term illness
If that sounds familiar and you think you might be a young adult carer get in touch, we can help – email@example.com/01452 733060.
*Most activities are free of charge and we will support with transport where possible*
If you’re a YAC registered with us contact Jess via FACEBOOK or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to come to any of the above!
If you or the person you care for is experiencing a physical or mental health crisis these are the numbers you need:
999 – for emergencies only.
111— if you need medical advice or help but it’s not an emergency.
101— non-emergency police.
The Mix – Online support for under 25s
tic+ Teens in Crisis
Help in a Mental Health Crisis
Going the Extra Mile
Got a question?
Phone: 01452 733060
Christmas Cooking Workshop
Kira and Jodie on a visit to London
Young Adult Carers Service @ GYC
How can we help?
We understand the daily challenges young adult carers face and set up ‘YACS’ to support you with these.
Our young adult carers service includes:
- 1-1 support from our friendly YAC workers.
- Help with applying for jobs, work experience, training courses, uni or college.
- ‘Caring Counts’ our unique short course.
- Help with accessing free counselling and other specialist support.
- Fun day trips and workshops.
- Chance to meet other young adult carers and make new friends
- Advocacy support (we can talk to school/college/uni/work to help them understand your caring role)
- Small Grants to help with education or employment.
And most importantly, confidential and understanding support and guidance on the issues that matter to you.
“YACS has helped me a lot through problems I’ve faced and because of them I get to relax and enjoy myself more often”
“Seeing (YAC Worker) isn’t like seeing a counsellor, she helps me with what’s going on at home but we also chat about our fave tv programmes and have a laugh”
News from YACS
YAC team challenge residential 2018
Amie wins an award
YAC Futures 2018, a career event just for young adult carers
A thank you from Frankie
Harley tells us about attending his first GYC activity
Helen shares advice for carers going to University
Fire building in the woods!